Thunderstorms and Tornadoes
Links to online information about thunderstorms and tornadoes.
This is about as much as convection can do without moisture.
- Dust Devils
- Short Weather Channel video (1:05) explaining how dust devils form.
- Dust devils on Mars
- Trying to learn about dust devils on the dust planet (3:44).
- Australian Fire Whirls
- The thermal energy for convection doesn’t have to come from the sun! (3:59)
- Portuguese fire whirls
- More fire whirl footage (4:00).
- Thunderstorms and supercells
- Video (4:44) from a TV meteorologist aimed at a school audience.
- Thunder and Lightning
- Video (2:56) from the UK Met Office
- Video (0:55) showing a snowstorm with lightning and thunder in Wichita.
- National Severe Storms laboratory Severe Weather 101—Thunderstorms
- Introduction to thunderstorms, with links to further pages: types of thunderstorms, thunderstormstorm detection, forecasting, FAQ
- National Severe Storms laboratory Severe Weather 101—Tornadoes
- Introduction to tornadoes
- EF Scale
- NOAA fact sheet on the Enhanced Fujita scale
- EF Scale damage photos
- from the “Original Weather Blog”
- Super Tornado
- Sensational video (30 min) from Cosmic Journeys describing the Joplin, MO tornado.
- The Tri-State Tornado of 1925
- Video (5:13) describing the record tornado of 18 March 1925.
- Tri-State Tornado facts
- Facts about the Tri-State Tornado, with many photographs of damage.
- EL Reno Tornado animation
- Video (2:09) of a simulation of the El Reno Oklahoma tornado of May 2011 from the University of Wisconsin.
Storm chaser videos
- Video montage (3:23) of intense thunderstorms.
- Storm chaser videos
- A collection from storm chaser Quincy Vagell.
- Wray, Colorado
- Close footage (5:23) of a tornado.
Tornado on Fire
- Fire Tornado
- Not just a fire whirl. Destructive fires in Canberra, Australia in 2003 were evidently intensified by a true tornado born from the pyrocumulus cloud. This video (11:08) shows how the story was uncovered.
Copyright © 2007, Richard Barrans
Revised: 20 November 2019. Maintained by Richard Barrans.